Saturday, July 11, 2009

"Trial Island" fr. Ross Bay Beach oils 11 x 14 (SOLD)

I have suddenly realized that I shouldn't make the painting look like the subject - instead I should make the subject look like a painting! I call this my Wilson Paradox. This way I simplify, and render the painting with loose interpretive colour and brushwork.

The rocks have been simplified so that the eye goes over them and deeper into the distance. Also, I have taken liberties with the colours.


It's not that I need to take shortcuts, it's just that I need to be "painterly" - I need to see with my own vision of the subject before me ...

SOLD at Moss Street July 18, 2009

2 comments:

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Beautifully done Ron...colours are right on!

Jeffrey

Ron Wilson said...

When I first started painting Jeffrey I thought that if I didn't get the subject exactly accurate I was cheating - NOW I realize that there is a higher truth to art - put pieces of yourself in the paint.