Saturday, December 11, 2010

"Freighters off Port Angeles" 11 x 14



Looking across the strait we can see the smoke of Port Angeles USA in the distance, over an hour away by ferry. The Strait of Juan de Fuca divides the US from Canada at this corner of the Pacific Northwest.

I liked this scene because of the mood, the mountains, and the way that the windlines in the sea emulate the clouds above the Olympics. Here's my prelim charcoal sketch:
If I do a preparatory sketch like this beforehand it helps me to decide whether the scene might make a reasonable painting or not. So it's worth it I think ...

4 comments:

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Beautiful painting Ron...looks just like that out there!

Jeffrey

Ron Wilson said...

Thankee Jeffreee - 'twas cold but utterly painterly.

Justin Clayton said...

Simple and beautiful Ron. You nailed this one.

Ron Wilson said...

One never really knows when one has nailed a painting unless someone other than yourself says so -- that's how I see it. Therefore, feedback (good, bad or ugly) is helpful. This a long way around of me saying thanks Justin and Jeffrey).