Friday, December 24, 2010

"Table Mountain" oil 24 x 30


South Africa’s greatest icon. I can't explain the painting but I can talk about what it means to me:

The rocks of the foreground are the immediate issues facing the country but the tide, like life's ups and downs, ebbs and flows. Troubles come and go. The middle distance sea is calming, and the Cape Doctor spreads a mysterious futuristic cloth over the mountain. All highly symbolic for a dreamer like me, saying great things are possible now and in the future.

This is the view from Blaauwberg, similar to what Mr. Nelson must have seen on Robben Island. The mountain speaks not of politics, not of the Koi inhabitants, not of Van Riebeeck nor of Parliament – it speaks of all these and yet not of any one of them in particular. Like wisps of Time, we have spread our various cultures before it.

I first painted Table Mountain nearly fifty years ago, and several weeks ago Yvonne Katzin sent me her photo, making it possible for me to paint an up-to-date version in oil as regards the foreshore as it is now, and the ship approaching harbour. We are still arriving.

My Table Mountain is on stretched canvas, 24 x 30 inches, unframed. Basic price 1440 Canadian dollars, shipping is extra. I'd be grateful if you would forward the link below to anyone who may be interested in buying the painting. Home from home.


See Table Mountain at http://artist-ron-wilson.blogspot.com (You may have to cut and paste the link).

Tip: click on the image above to see an enlargement of the painting but afterwards do click your BACK button to return here.


Ronnie

No comments: