Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"High Wind at Cattle Point" oil 16 x 20

I actually saw this bird (a female Brewer's Blackbird) clinging to a twig, facing into the wind just as a schooner was sailing by. I was struck by the scene and vowed to paint it just as it appeared on that windy wintery morning at Cattle Point, Victoria BC. According to Wikipedia, the Brewer's Blackbird (Euphagus cyanocephalus) is a medium-sized New World blackbird, named after the ornithologist Thomas Mayo Brewer. (They like to be near water, feed on insects, and need not have to migrate).

If you click on the image you'll get a bigger view, then press your BACK button to return here.
Your COMMENT on the style and the mood of this piece is welcome (click the word COMMENTS below, or for a private and direct email to me, click on the tiny white envelope).

3 comments:

Caron said...

I often marvel at the tenacity of birds in all kinds of weather. I think you've captured that here, Ron. The subtle colouring ads to the mood as well.

Caron said...

I often marvel at the tenacity of birds in all kinds of weather. You've captured that here, Ron. The subtle colours add to the mood.

Ron Wilson said...

Hi Caron - good of you to look at my work and comment again - I'm thinking of going back into this one and making the tones even lighter, hmmmm....