Friday, March 30, 2012

"The Yellow House" oil 11x14 Banfield Park


Today I chose a complicated scene way out of my comfort zone - trees, roads, buildings, etc. (photograph above) and reduced it to a two-hour oil sketch en plein air.


It was a wee bit stressful but I did it.  Sometimes it's good to step outside of the comfort zone and to tackle a subject that one wouldn't normally paint.
I liked the repetition of the windows and pickets - two, two, four, four....and the pavement of course.
As exercise it's worth it. I don't think it's the greatest painting since sliced cheese, yet it taught me a lot. 
This building is on the Craigflower Road above Banfield Park in Western Victoria BC.

1 comment:

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Good one Ron...really artists "don't need no stinkeeing comfort eh"...

=;-/)

Jeffrey