Friday, October 09, 2009

"House on the beach" (Ocean Boulevard) Oils 12 x 16

Today I re-sized the house THREE times on my canvas before I was happy with the composition. Fortunately, I used charcoal and could wipe the image with a paper towel each time. I had it much bigger but it seemed to be in my face, so I gradually got it down to what it appears now.



My thanks to Richard Schmid for showing me the way in his "Alla Prima" book. I have read it many times over and still I'm finding something new ...

Ocean Boulevard is that thin strip of land between the sea and Esquimalt Lagoon in Victoria, BC, Canada. To approach the house one has to drive across an old wooden bridge and park close to the sea. I saw a kayaker, hundreds of seagulls, human strollers and even a few horses out to play. And of course, 30 other artists from the Al Frescoes - including my artist daughter Jenn!

6 comments:

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Oooooo...nice one Ron. Once again you have used your mastery of composition to full advantage with this lovely piece! You completely captured the feel of that beach!

Jeffrey

Linny D. Vine said...

Very lovely, Ron! Your muse was dancing in the surf beside you as you painted this one.

Ron Wilson said...

My thanks to Jeffrey and Linny for your kind compliments -- personally I'm baffled because the painting itself is plain and simple -- if I knew exactly why it works I would have the formula for future successes but it 'don't work like that.' Painting is a delicious struggle and I guess I'll just keep on truckin' -- thanks for the encouragement, you two.

Maryanne said...

Lovely; Peaceful. Wonderful talent to be able interpret a scene. I like the soft colours.

Anonymous said...

really nice one. Love the composition. I also reread "Alla Prima".

Ron Wilson said...

In fact I have ordered Richard Schmid's new book on LANDSCAPES - can't wait ... what I like most about his work is his accuracy - he makes every piece look so right, correct and convincing.